Sunday, January 23, 2011

LOL......and other jokes

Anyone a fan of the radio show "A Prairie Home Companion"? Paul & I routinely listen to it on the weekends & enjoy the hokey but clever skits. This weekend was their joke show. If you missed it, or aren't a fan, well....what can I say? Your loss. You could have learned a variety of new things. Like......

Why can't you hear a pterodactyl go to the bathroom?
---Because the P is silent.

What do you call a nun who sleep walks?
---A Roamin' Catholic

What's the first thing the doe said when she walked out of the woods?
---"That's the last time I do that for two bucks!"

What did the boy rabbit say to the girl rabbit?
---"This won't take long, did it?"

What did the nun say to the priest when he asked if he could kiss her?
---"Well, as long as you don't get into the habit."

A pony walks into a bar & orders a beer.
The bartender says, "What's that? I didn't hear you."
The pony says, "Sorry, I'm a little horse."

*ba-dum-bum-ching*
____________________________________________

Now, on to other matters of importance: the proper use of LOL. It has come to my attention that some people misuse this common acronym. In it's original & true meaning, LOL is "laughing out loud". As in, ha ha. But meant with a little more fervor than ha ha. I'll be honest, LOL isn't one of my favorite acronyms, but it can be useful at times. The problem in it lies in it's misuse. A minority of people use it to mean "lots of love." This can be potentially disastrous to an online/texting relationship-- especially when the author intends "lots of love," but the reader sees "laughing out loud." Some examples of tragic miscommunication:

"Heard you had a bad day. LOL. "

"Sorry about Spot. You know, all dogs go to heaven. Lol."

"My sincere condolences regarding the passing of your mother. Lol."

"I can't believe someone stole your bike! LOL. That's awful."


Just letting you know-- definition matters!

LOL


4 comments:

  1. I am so proud that you have done 2 posts this month! :-) And I like when you blog---so keep up the good work! LOL---interpret either way. (Because I did "LOL" reading your post, and I do send "LOL" too.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the positive feedback. Lol.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto on enjoying the blog! I miss you and like keeping up with you in any way I can!

    Did you call Ben immediately upon hearing the pterodactyl joke? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AH, I love the joke show! I missed it, but thanks for the recap on some of the great jokes! Made me smile this morning.(PS - I never use "LOL" for some reason all the acronyms bug me! :) )

    ReplyDelete